Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Becoming

Every three years, Amber Hopkins explodes. Okay, not a blown-to-smithereens explosion, but whatever it is always hurts like hell and leaves her life a shambles. She’s already worked her way through five foster placements, and she’s doing whatever she can to avoid getting blasted into a sixth.

As her eighteenth birthday approaches and she feels the strange and powerful energy building, disaster looms. When the inevitable explosion occurs, her life gets its biggest shakeup yet. She’ll not only learn how her fellow foster and best friend, Gabriel, really feels about her, but she’ll discover that she isn’t really without family.

To top it all off, she’ll finally find out why she’s having the power surges: she isn’t entirely human.

Amber must Become, transitioning to another plane of existence and risking the loss of the most important relationship she’s ever had. Her choice will impact the future of an entire race of beings, and will pit her against an enemy that will prey upon her doubt to try and take her very life.

Kind of makes the explosions now seem like a cakewalk.


                                                           **** SPOILER ALERT****

            If I could put more stars on here for it, I would. It deserves more like ten!! 
            First let me say, that I knew of this trilogy when I started talking to Raine Thomas on Twitter.  I’m not sure who followed who first, but I’m so glad I started talking to her.  I met Raine as she was finishing up the series, and getting ready to launch them.  I hadn’t started my book yet, and she was one of the people cheering me on to start it.  I don’t think I can thank her enough for giving that slight push for me to start! 
When I first went on her website, and read the description of Becoming, I was hooked.  I needed to read it now.  I’m not a patient girl when it comes to a book that I know is good, and I want to read it.  I had seen the trailer for it as well, and my impatience for it got worse… I’m pretty sure I watched it at least five times!  I was totally hooked.  When I saw that all three books were on sale on Amazon, I proceeded to buy all three. Yes… I mean it when I say I was hooked! 

Becoming is the story of Amber Hopkins.  She is Esiltorian, and one of the three daughters of Saraqael, an elder who had to come to the human plane to research human emotion.   
Since she has met him, at the age of twelve, she has had an unbreakable bond with Gabriel Reid.  He protects her, accepts her, and is extremely loyal to her.  Amber has led a hard life, going from foster placement to foster placement, she feels she’s not worthy of anyone’s love.  There is a reason for the placements though.  Every three years her body has power surges, and she doesn’t know why.

It is while on a trip to Alaska with Gabriel, celebrating her birthday, that everything starts to change for her.  First it is there that she and Gabriel vow to love each other forever.  Second, she meets her sisters Olivia and Skye.  She’s confused at first, but then it is explained she is Esiltorian, and was sent to live as a human on thee human plane for protection.  At this point, I did not want to stop reading the book, because the story was that good!

Gabriel finds out he’s also an Estilorian, and the Head of the Gloresti, which is similar to a bodyguard.  After the four of them go back to the Estilorian plane, where they had originally come from, the three sisters have a Becoming ceremony and are given their full powers. Gabriel takes his place as an elder, and his position of Head of the Gloresti. 

It is at the end of this ceremony, the three sisters are put in danger, and all three are injured because of the battle that takes place.  There is someone who wants to kidnap one of the sisters for his own gain, Amber herself, is hurt the worst.  I have to say I had tears in my eyes reading Gabriel’s grief thinking he was losing her. 

This book has you wanting to read more and more… when it ended I didn’t want it to end.  I was actually sad to see it vend, but was happy that Amber and Gabriel had their happy ending, and she finally got the family she had been wanting so desperately.  I cannot wait to start the next one in the series!  Very well done Raine!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Bakin' up Blogs Design Copyright © 2011 The Blog Bakery