Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Review of Ashes and Ice by Rochelle Maya Callen


She is desperate to remember.
He is aching to forget.
Together, they are not broken.
But together, one may not survive.

​Jade wakes up with no memory of her past and blood on her hands. 

Plagued by wicked thoughts, she searches for answers. Instead, she finds a boy who doesn't offer her answers, but hope. But sometimes, when nightmares turn into reality and death follows you everywhere, hope is not enough. 

LUST. LOVE. LOSS. Sometimes, all that is left are Ashes and Ice.


This book had me from the first word!!  I was hooked right from the beginning, and could not wait to see what happened.

Jade has no memory of who she is or where she's from.  She has glimpses of certain memories, but nothing she can hold on to for very long.  When she wakes up with blood on her hands, literally, she knows something is wrong with her.

She finds herself in Louisiana, and realizes there are clues there on who or what she is.  

Conner is hurting, and he's hurting badly.  He's suffering from the loss of his father, and because of this wants to be invisible at school.  If no one notices him, they can't pick on him.  He likes it that way.  When he meets Jade for the first time, his world changes. 

When Jade starts having strange visions of girls who have been murdered, she starts on a journey for answers about who she is.  When she finally finds the answers, she's forced to make a choice between life and death; good and evil.  

Throughout the book, I kept trying to guess what Jade was, because it was clear she wasn't human.  First I thought she was a vampire, and once you read the book, you'll know why I thought that.  It is so far from what she actually is, that I'm still shaking my head at myself.  There is something dark within her, and it is fighting to come out.  She just doesn't know what that something is.

I felt sorry for Conner, because I know I would have been friends with him in highschool.  He's picked on and bullied by two jocks at school who he despises wholeheartedly.  Jade is the light in his dark cloud that is following him.  

I'm going to repeat myself here, but I loved this book so much!  I love a book that keeps me guessing, and this book kept me guessing right until the end! I know it is one that I will be reading again, because I love Jade and Conner together!!  There are times I just want to give Conner a hug, because I felt horrible for him at times.  He proves to Jade just how much he loves her, and it almost costs him his life.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

 

A Bakin' up Blogs Design Copyright © 2011 The Blog Bakery